Jimmy’s Beef Massamam
Serves 4 Prep Time 15 mins Cooking time 40 Mins
Ingredients – Massamam Curry Paste
1 Stick of lemongrass
5 Kaffir Lime Leaves
6 Cloves of Garlic
1 Chopped Tomato
5 Red Chillies
1 small knob of glangal
1 small knob of fresh tumeric
1 small knob of ginger
5 Thai Basil Leaves
Half a bunch of coriander roots
250 ml Coconut Milk
2 cardamom pods, bruised
2 each of cinnamon quills and star anise
2 fresh bay leaves
6 fresh curry leaves
500 gm Diced Coorong Angus Beef
1 Large Sebago Potato cut into 5cm pieces
35 gm unsalted peanuts, coarsely chopped and roasted in a pan till golden brown
50 gm soft palm sugar, or to taste
50 ml fish sauce, or to taste
50 ml Soy Sauce
2 tbsp tamarind paste
To serve: Steamed Basmati (Low GI) Rice and chopped coriander
- Add all the ingredients for the curry paste into a blender and blend until a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in pressure cooker, add all the dry spices.
- Then Add 6 tablespoons of curry paste and fry for 5 mins.
- Add the beef and fry for a further 2 mins.
- Add the potatoes and the coconut milk and stir Add palm sugar, fish sauce, soy sauce, peanuts and tamarind paste.
- Add 1 cup of water or beef stock Close pressure cooker and cook on 15 PSI for 40 mins.
- Open cooker, the oil from the coconut milk will rise to the top, just skim it off and dispose.
- Garnish with coriander and serve with rice.